Direct: Growth in independence with regard to the performance of the movements necessary for the carrying and placing the tray without damaging himself, others, or the tray.
Indirect: Coordination of the child’s movement, development of the muscles, and concentration.
Points of Interests
Listening to see if a sound is made.
2 1/2 – 3 1/2 years
A table and a tray
Prepare the material needed: a child’s table and a tray.
Invite 3-4 children to come participate in your lesson by telling them you have something to show them.
Show each child where exactly to sit and once the children are seated, you sit so that you can see them all, they all can see you, and yet you are not in front of them.
Call their attention to the tray on the table and tell them that you are going to show them how to carry a tray.
Stand up so that you are in front of the table and the tray is also in front of you
- Place your right thumb over the lip on the right of the tray in the middle.
- Wrap your four right fingers under the lip of the tray.
- Place your left thumb opposite your right thumb on the lip on the left side of the tray.
- Wrap your four left fingers under the lip of the tray.
- Lift straight up with both hands until the tray is at the level of your lower stomach.
- Walk carefully around a designated space all the while checking that the walkway is clear of obstacles.
- Come back to the spot of the demonstration.
- Slowly lower the top right corner until it touches the tabletop.
- Silently lower the top left corner onto the tabletop.
- Silently lower both of the corners nearest to your body onto the table.
- Remove your left hand from the tray and then your right.
Offer each child the opportunity to pick up and carry the tray.
Once they have all had a turn excuse them one at a time, making sure each child has thought of what he would like to de next.
When offering each child a personal turn, do so by inviting each child to stand only when it is his turn. And be clear as to where you would like the child to walk to with the tray in his hands.