…wooden stamps of four types:
xx…green unit stamps printed with the numeral 1,
xx…blue tens stamps printed with the numeral 10,
xx…red hundred stamps printed with the numeral 100, and
xx…green thousand stamps printed with the numeral 1000
…box with three compartments each containing 9 skittles and one counter in the hierarchic colors;
…four small plates
Given a multiplication problem, the child prepares several like quantities, puts them together, makes the necessary changes and records the problem and the result in his notebook.
- Take the materials to a table or rug.
- Select a problem and write it on the paper. In this case: 2432 × 4
- Lay out the number four times, moving the divider down each time.
- Slide the stamps in each column together.
- Then count and record the units (exchanging if needed).
- Count the tens (exchanging for a hundred if needed.)
- Record the tens left on the paper.
- Then count and record the hundreds (exchanging if needed).
- Then count and record the thousands (exchanging if needed).